Social Icons

Pages

Monday, June 17, 2013

Festival of the Arts 2013

Forewarning....lots of pics and videos to come, but they are so worth your time.

Festival of the Arts is always an interesting time.  It is a chance to experience food, music, dance, and art.  Downtown is just kind of taken over, and you get to experience people, places, sounds, smells, and tastes.  You have to be able to handle crowds, but it is so worth it.

I went downtown for two of the three days.  I had bands that I wanted to see both nights.  Friday night, I went to see Jukejoint Handmedowns.  A local band that I see whenever I can.  Before they came on, we got to the see person before them.  Her name is Karisa Wilson.  She was amazing.  Even better, I get to see her again in a few months at a concert series that I help manage.

I strongly encourage you check out her music.  She has an incredible voice and is a rockin' performer.

 Karisa Wilson at City Stage




Next up was the band we went to see, Jukejoint Handemdowns.  

Always a good show.  My words are not sufficient to describe their music...so here is their description from their website.
"The Jukejoint Handmedowns were established in 2010 as a duo act by founding members Nathan James and Tim Foley. They describe themselves as a 'Big Tent' American Roots group whose eclectic set list mixes classic country covers, tin pan alley & jazz standards, 'countrified' pop tunes and original material. Expanding to a trio in 2011 with the addition of Paul Harris on steel guitar, and then to a quartet in 2012 when Craig Van Otteren signed on as Mandolin/3rd Harmony, this entertaining group continues to provide toe-tappin', honky tonkin' fun with their unexpected song choices, harmony vocals and laid-back acoustic instrumental arrangements. They are equally at home in a rowdy barroom, private party or swanky black tie event."

Jukejoint Handmedowns at City Stage

 
 
 
 


Saturday night brought a show that I could not wait to see.  A band called the Jim Crawford Band.  I first saw them perform at Festival many years ago, like 2003 or so....  They rock.  Plain and simple.  I ended up getting to see them perform many, many times over the next couple of years.  Unfortunately they broke up as they went in different directions.  The show on Saturday was a reunion show.  It was awesome!

 Jim Crawford Band at Circle Stage

 
 
 


So, as these bands show, my taste in music varies, but I do firmly believe that live music is best.  At least it is if the band is actually any good.  :)  With that in mind, I had a hard time finding a song of the day.  So I have uploaded videos of all three bands, but I am choosing "Stronger" by Karisa Wilson for my song today.  Simply put, beautiful message, beautiful song...check it out.


 "Stronger" by Karisa Wilson

  
"Beer City USA" by Jukejoint Handmedowns


"Angel of Mine" & "Sister Wendy" by Jim Crawford Band

1 comment:

 
 
Blogger Templates